Panna-Leica 8-18, first major trip thoughts

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
phil from seattle
OP phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 2,252
Re: Panna-Leica 8-18, first major trip thoughts

IndieAZ wrote:

I have the Oly9-18 as well and after comparing 9mm and 8mm I realized how big a difference that 1mm is. This is the source of my doubt regarding the extra 4mm on the long end. I know the extra 4mm is useful since I already had 18mm, but was unaware of how big a difference that 1mm would be! I heavily considered the 7-14/2.8, but the lack of screw-on filters was a major barrier and the PL8-18 is still lighter.

I have an E-M10 and E-M5 ii, so I suppose I could just use dual bodies. But one of the draws to M43 for me was the size/weight. Carrying two bodies seems like overkill. On the other hand, a e-m10 with a PL8-18 is only ~100g heavier than a 7-14/2.8 by itself...so maybe it's something I should experiment with.

I have to agree that carrying 2 bodies does kind of negate the big benefit of M43 and having the overlapping range even more so.  However, for close up shots, the 12-40Pro rules and for broad vistas, the PL8-18 is pretty good. Two cameras allow me to get a lot of shots that wouldn't be possible with just one. Too bad there isn't an 8-40mm f/2.8 that's the same size as either of those two. (Yes, I know why that's not going to happen...)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow