Panna-Leica 8-18, first major trip thoughts

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
IndieAZ New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Panna-Leica 8-18, first major trip thoughts

phil from seattle wrote:

IndieAZ wrote:

• I believed the extra 4mm on long end would be more useful than extra 1mm on short end. I'm not sure this is true yet - I'll know more after some longer trips and hiking/camping this summer.

Based on my experience, that extra 1mm may be significant. For example Slieve League cliffs didn't fit in 8mm. Though not sure if they would in 7mm either. I'm not sure the 4mm on the long end makes that much difference for me because I would use the 12-40Pro for almost anything in the 12-18mm range. It helps that it was mounted on another body in my camera bag

Beautiful shot!

I have the Oly9-18 as well and after comparing 9mm and 8mm I realized how big a difference that 1mm is. This is the source of my doubt regarding the extra 4mm on the long end. I know the extra 4mm is useful since I already had 18mm, but was unaware of how big a difference that 1mm would be! I heavily considered the 7-14/2.8, but the lack of screw-on filters was a major barrier and the PL8-18 is still lighter.

I have an E-M10 and E-M5 ii, so I suppose I could just use dual bodies. But one of the draws to M43 for me was the size/weight.  Carrying two bodies seems like overkill.  On the other hand, a e-m10 with a PL8-18 is only ~100g heavier than a 7-14/2.8 by itself...so maybe it's something I should experiment with.

IndieAZ's gear list:IndieAZ's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow