Was thinking of selling/swapping my a99 II for a7R II

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,478
Re: Was thinking of selling/swapping my a99 II for a7R II

Mark K wrote:

Mike - wrote:

As most know, finding a good "a" mount lens is a pain. Especially for what I need...zoom wise. Swapping to an "E" mount, will go a long way toward using it more.

BUT, maybe I'll hang onto it a little longer. Being recently retired, and beginning to "clean" things up around the house, I found my old Minolta, Maxxum 7xi, with its (Tamron) 28-200 and (Minolta) 28-105 lenses. The 28-200 only sorta helps my distance problem (my 5D IV Canon with its 35-350 L are perfect. If it were only stabilized !).

Out of curiosity, this morning, I put the 28-105 lens on the a99 II and went outside. Although I've read posts about how well the old Minolta lenses work, I was still somewhat amazed at how detailed the photos actually were. Only took a few shots of junk around the house, and didn't do a high...level "inspection" the pictures for detail, color, fringing, etc., etc. but..! Only thing about the 28-105 is that its zoom is motorized. Wondering on how it will effect the battery life.

I haven't given the 28-200 any time yet. Just put the 28-200 on...the outer lens/element rotates during focus..! Maybe tomorrow for this one...

Maybe with these two lenses, my a99 II still has a home after all. I'll take it with me next weekend and see how things turn out.

Mike

I have no idea, while having both A99II and 5DIV, a camera is superior to A7rII in terms of electronic and mechanical build, you still consider a switch? 28-105 is the worst Minolta lens I ever bought. If you can mount a 24-70f2.8 ZA, you can fully realize how good your camera is. The same applies to 24-70f2.8II on 5dIV

I used to use the 28-105xi lens on my film Dynax 7xi - I presume the OP means the xi version of that lens as he mentions it having a powered zoom. I have to concur Mark, it is a mediocre lens at best. The Sigma 24-105 f4 ART lens will blow it out of the water on the a99ii as will the Sony CZ 24-70G2 or a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 - all lenses I have owned or used on my a99ii.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow