Tamron FE 28-75mm f2.8 My first impressions

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
Tamron FE 28-75mm f2.8 My first impressions

My local camera store (Digidirect) just received their stock of Tamron's, and they cut me a good deal ($1200 Au) so I picked one up.

When I first saw it, I couldn't believe how small it was. The Sales guy had to ask where it was because he couldn't see it on display because it's smaller than expected. He attached it to an a7rii then handed it to me. Again, I couldn't believe how light it was.

I just took some quick test shots on my a7rii (specifically wide open at 75mm with AF-S), and my initial opinion is WOW.

Perfectly sharp at all focal lengths (including 75mm), with no misfocussing or front focussing issues, all shots were surprisingly in focus. I was expecting problems, but there weren't any. Maybe I got lucky and scored a good copy???

Distortion is barrel/moustache at 28mm, then neutral at 35-40mm, then pincushion from 50-75mm. Vignetting is surprisingly not an issue. LoCa is low, with only slight blue/magenta noticeable in high contrast areas in the corners only (excellent performance for an f2.8 zoom).

Autofocus is fast and silent, no different to any of Sony better lenses I've owned/used.

Bokeh is very similar to what I had with my recently sold Sony FE 85mm f1.8, not brilliant, but not bad. Neutral is how I would best describe it for an f2.8 lens, and would be happy to shoot portraits with it.

Colour is surprisingly accurate with no favoured colour cast (I was expecting a yellow cast for some reason, maybe earlier posted pre-released samples). The colour pops nicely.

It was raining here today, so I will retake some brick wall shots tomorrow with a tripod (weather permitting), then post the shots here at DPReview.

If you're on the fence (as I was) with this lens, jump off and get one now, it's that good, and certainly a bargain. I also plan to get the new Samyang FE 24mm f2.8 to complement this lens when I absolutely need to shoot 24mm.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow