Started Jun 11, 2018 | Questions thread
Shirozina Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Lumix 12-60mm vs Oly 12-40mm?

JoostL wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

JoostL wrote:

Shirozina wrote:

JoostL wrote:

Does anybody have both lenses? I'm using the Lumix on my Pana G80 and generally I'm pleased with the results. Still I'm wondering whether the Oly will be a significant improvement IQ-wise, at comparable focal lenghts and apertures?
I'm not interested in alternatives like the PanaLeica 12-60 (already had a copy, which was actually worse than the Lumix) or the Pana 12-35mm, and I know that I'll be losing Dual IS. Thanks!

Sounds like you had a bad copy of the PanaLeica..... I have the OL 12-40, The Lumix 12-35 2.8 and the PanaLeica. The OL is optically the best of the 3 by virtue of it holding better resolution at the frame edges at 12mm. Away from 12mm the PanaLeica is virtually indistinguishable with the 12-35 playing catchup at the frame edges. This is on a GH5 tested at infinity.

A bad copy of the PL 12-60mm - yes and no. The problem was the consistently inconsistent (as another poster called it) results. Sometimes sharp across the frame, sometimes unsharp on the left side, sometimes on the right side. I rebought the Lumix 12-60mm and did a controlled test against the PL. The Lumix was much sharper at all focal lenghts and apertures. Did the same test with both lenses on the Oly E-PL7 I had at the time, the Lumix was still better although the difference not as big. So I sent the PL back to the seller who in his turn sent it to the repair centre. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. The seller then also tested it on a G80 and compared it with another copy, and he too couldn't find any problem. He offered to send me the other copy but I declined as I didn't want to through the hassle of retesting. After all it looked like the PL behaved badly only on my G80 (there have been reports of the OIS and IBIS not working well together in some cases) and on the other hand the Lumix did very well. But then it could be better at the edges and it looks like the Oly does just that.

How did you test the lenses - infinity? brick wall? close up test target?. (I found many Panasonic lenses seem optimised to work at closer distances and struggle at infinity at the frame edges). Also generally it's recommended to turn off any stabilisation systems as this ensures you don't get decentering problems.

By lack of a brick wall I used a book case. Camera on a tripod, level, aimed squarely at said book case, ISO 200, autofocus with focus point in the centre, selftimer at 10 seconds. Took 4 shots - to rule out accidental bumps and other false results - of all of the following combinations:
- Lumix 12-60 / PanaLeica 12-60
- stabilisation on / off
- shutter mechanical / electronic
- focal length 12 / 25 / 60mm
- aperture wide open / 5.6 / 8.0
That's 4x2x2x2x3x3 shots, and they all showed the Lumix was better, both in the centre and in the corners.

That's a very specific test for a very specific and not often encountered real world shooting situation. Lenses can behave very differently in close flat field situations like this and more common distant scenes ( where edge definition is important)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow