Is there a verdict on 18-135 vs 18-105 ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Amamba
OP Amamba Senior Member • Posts: 1,935
Re: Is there a verdict on 18-135 vs 18-105 ?

Cobalty2004 wrote:

Kogel wrote:

Cobalty2004 wrote:

rjjr wrote:

Cobalty2004 wrote:

The 18-135 has the front element extend outwards like the kit lens.

Very poor design, I'm not buying one just for that reason. I plan on getting a 18-105 this Saturday. While I cannot compare the two, I can post sample pics with the 18-105 later.

I've used many telescoping lenses over the decades. I've never had a problem with any of them due to the telescoping design.

Having a telescopic lens increases the chance of introducing undesirables into the lens body and having the front element seize or jam.

Never had any problems, but if size is irrelevant there is no need for telescopic lens designs.

The 18-135 offers large zoom, good quality and (for such a configuration) is compact and lightweight - I really like it.

Just understand that the longer focal length, whilst making the lens body smaller and lightweight.... something had to give.

That “something” was the constant F4 all the way to 105mm, internal zoom, and the entire power zoom mechanism. But mainly F4.

But the lens has had stellar reviews, perhaps I'm just being paranoid

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TG1
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow