All compact cameras will likely be gone in 5 years

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chrisno Contributing Member • Posts: 923
All compact cameras will likely be gone in 5 years

I've been using digital compacts, dslrs, mirrorless systems for over 15 years. I enjoyed having some of the top compact digitals in the past like fuji f31fd, panasonic fz series, sony rx series, canon g7x series etc.

The time is due and smartphones developments will soon completely replace the compact digital in less than 5 years except two niche sectors:

1. Waterproof cameras that can go under 10m+ and
  2. Cameras with focal range that can reach over 600mm (which I regard as not a compact in terms of size)

My prediction is based on the recent developments and multiple cameras built inside a smartphone: from 2-5 rear cameras in the next couple of years. It's also been confirmed by Dxomark there will be a lot of smartphones consist of more than 4 cameras.

The ability of having zoom used to be something that smartphones couldn't do, that made users and myself coming back and forth for buying our digital compacts. However the newly developed cameras and lenses in smartphones now can do 2x,3x even 5x optical zooms:

The above images are captured by one of the latest smartphones with 5x zoom. The quality is certainly not the best but definitely usable. Note: this is the generation 1 of the 80mm lens. There will be more focal ranges pack into one smartphone in the next couple of generations like this:

16mm, 28mm (the one exists in most smartphone), 80mm, 200mm

This set of cameras cover most of the focal range one need from 16mm (UW for landscapes), 28mm (general purpose), 80mm (portrait), 200mm (tele)

One may argue digital compacts got better IQ, I completely realize and agree with that but the gap is definitely narrowing day by day with the rapid developments of AI, processors, cameras and lenses coming from smartphones.

There are unstoppable battles between smartphone companies showing off their best cameras for users that accelerate the growth even further. Even some of the enthusiasts will shift towards dslr/mirrorless system from compacts, to the ones offer much higher quality like full frame cameras than our existing smartphones.

Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic LX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow