5dmk4 timelapse movie function and electronic shutter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ericrayl New Member • Posts: 15
5dmk4 timelapse movie function and electronic shutter

I just started playing around with the timelapse movie function on my 5dmk4 this past weekend and I must say that I really love it. It makes taking a timelapse movie so much quicker and easier than before. Before I had to take individual photos via an intervalometer and stitch them together in post. While 4k is currently not an option for the timelapse function, I'm okay with that because my videos are typically in 1080.

The only question or concern I have about using the timelapse movie function on my 5dmk4 is regarding the shutter. Apparently for this function the 5dmk4 uses the 'electronic shutter' to take the images (as noted in the user manual it says "since the electronic shutter is used for shooting, the reflex mirror and shutter make no mechanical sound").  So does this mean that there is less "wear and tear" on my camera since it only uses the electronic shutter for timelapse movies?

Before when I use to do timelapses via an intervalometer on my older camera I really racked up the shutter count.  And I always wondered if I was really shortening the life of the camera that way.  However, if the 5dmk4 uses the electronic shutter for timelapse movies does that mean that there is a lot less stress or wear and tear on it?

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow