Best way to print targets without color management

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MaxNeko New Member • Posts: 23
Best way to print targets without color management

I'm currently trying to build profiles using XRite's i1 Studio device after some frustration with a Spyder Print 3. I'm currently dual-booting High Sierra and Windows 10. My printer is the Canon Pro-10S I'm not sure which of the following methods is optimal for printing my scanning targets. Of course, if there's a better one, please let me know.

(1) Saving the TIFF's generated by the XRite app and printing them from the Adobe Color Printing Utility. In this case, I only have access to Page Setup and not to any of the details like quality and paper type which can affect how much ink is laid down. The target is printed looking somewhat washed out which may or may not be a bad thing.

(2) Printing the same TIFF from Photoshop with PS managing the colors. I use the Generic RGB profile, the appropriate media type and high quality. I've also been using the relative colorimetric setting. without necessarily knowing why which leaves me  queasy The target comes out looking closer to what is on the screen with more ink on the page.

(3) Using Photoshop in Windows where the Canon driver has an option to disable color management. Accordingly, printer color management with color management disabled. The media type is set to Other Matte Paper, however, after saving my settings, I see in Photoshop under Printer Profile that one of the lower quality Canon Matte Paper settings has been automatically selected. The resulting print is somewhere in between the first two that I tried.

I tore my hair out over this for two weeks with the Datacolor product and concluded that it didn't really matter because the measurements and profiles were so inconsistent. I'm now renting the i1 Studio to see whether it's worth buying. I'd love to get this right from day one.

Thanks for your help.

Max

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow