Thoughts on building light/affordable travel kit with 6D?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 174
Thoughts on building light/affordable travel kit with 6D?

I've recently sold all my gear and made the Leica Q my primary shooter, and I love it.  But I do have a longing for a separate kit that can cover most focal lengths, primarily for travel.  I am debating going small (M43 or 1 inch compact), or dealing with larger gear for the IQ payoff (FF).

One thought I had was getting a Canon 6D body, and getting 2 additional lenses - Tamron 24-70 G1, and Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 ii.  The 6D and 24-70 have both been usurped, so are fairly affordable right now.  The 70-300 is as well, this entire kit would come in under $2000 USD.  I had the 6D a couple of years ago and know exactly what to expect, and it produces lovely images.

A smaller alternative would be Sony A7 series, but the lack of an inexpensive native (don't want to deal with adapters) telephoto would make it pricier than the 6D.  And on a cost basis, the original A7 would compare to the 6D, but I think in that instance the 6D is a preferable camera for me.

Want to get thoughts from those that may have or still travel with something like the above setup (6D and 2 zoom lenses).  How is the experience?  Is it fairly easy, or do you still find yourself longing for smaller/lighter gear?

Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow