Big learning curve with Lightroom

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Docsavage1937 Forum Member • Posts: 53
Big learning curve with Lightroom

I'm being Captain Obvious, but there's a big learning curve with Lightroom.  They certainly managed to make it about as un-intuitive as possible.  (To be fair, Darktable isn't much more user-friendly).  Why can't I just open something up and close it, like Photoshop?  I'm not a big fan of the whole import thing, and then it's about as clear as mud how to make that group go away and clear it for the next time.

Obviously, I'm going to have to peruse youtube tutorials, which I don't have a problem with.  The upside; there are so many specialty tutorials for Lightroom - step by step demonstrations of specific situations, such as picking out gray from a gray card and then cloning it to the other photos selected.  To me, Lightroom's advantage over Darktable are the plentiful step by step guides online.

Lightroom popping up when a memory card is inserted is a 10/10 on the annoyance scale.  I had to go into preferences to turn that off, but then I ran into the lovely you need to sign in in order to sync photos menu (and then it goes away when I looked up the password! - i.e. switched to another program and switched back).

Not a big fan of cloud based programs...

It's allegedly only 9.99/month (I say allegedly because I'll have to read the fine print - it says "annually, billed monthly" on the preview)..  I'd have to choose the package with Lightroom Classic because I'm on Windows 7.  (However, official hard copies of the equivalent of Lightroom Classic - the number escapes me at teh moment, are available on amazon.).  That particular package has 20 gig of cloud storage - although it's unlikely that I'll use that.  It also comes with Photoshop CC, although I have CS5.

And frankly, until I become more advanced with photography, for a few months white balance correction is all that I'd use Lightroom for.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow