"Slow AF"...really?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,296
"Slow AF"...really?

If I had a $/£/Euro for every post in DPR that moans about slow AF with Fuji cameras, I would be a rich man

With the possible exception of when I failed to shoot skateboarders with an old X100 (probably not the best choice I admit) I cannot really think of a situation when AF speed has held me back.

Now, I accept there may fast moving sports and similar situations where the older cameras have struggled for some people, but even the X-E1 had a claimed AF speed of 0.1 seconds, with a 0.05 seconds shutter lag. Is Fujifilm exaggerating in making this claim? Is it not significantly faster than our reaction time anyway? Is AF being blamed for the slowness of our brain-finger response?

Let's have some factual examples, and exact situations where the "slow AF" of Fuji bodies and lenses have held you back. Many newcomers to Fuji reading these forums will think they're buying something from the dark ages, when in fact for most people / most of the time, I seriously doubt there is any issue with AF speed for any Fujifilm body-lens combination.

Many of you will disagree with my assertion, but come back with better facts and explanations please, not just the throw-away poor/slow/bad/etc that pepper this forum and elsewhere on the web, so the rest of us can properly understand what you mean.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Canon G9 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
HZP
HZP
HZP
HZP
HZP
HZP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow