Canon 1Ds -- A Full Frame blast from the past!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,544
Canon 1Ds -- A Full Frame blast from the past!

Received the titled camera, and a 50mm STM f/1.8 lens in a trade today (traded for a little used Sony A5000 I had). Other than the larger LCD screen not working (backlight is out on it (presuming it has a backlight), so I cannot see anything on it as its too dark), everything else works great, and thankfully most functions can be done with the shoulder LCD display, and the display under the non-functional main LCD screen.

Here is the first shot I took with the camera (just a test shot). Set the WB to inside lighting, and took this shot of my daughter doing some knitting. Although at ISO 100, I feel the color has good depth (although the WB for incandescent light is pretty poor), and retains the feel for a full frame sensor, similar to my 5D.

Other first observations.. the battery charger is a unique thing. Has two charging cords sticking out of it, but can only charge one battery at a time.. hmmm. Strange. My 1D Mark III uses a far superior dual battery charger, but being that this is the second iteration of the 1D series, I guess its a forgivable oversight.

Speaking of the 1D Mark III, the body is otherwise quite similar. The 1Ds does not have the joystick on it, and I have yet to find a Play button (but neither of these things matter, as I cannot use the main LCD screen anyhow). Button placement is mostly the same, but there are some differences (like the menu and info button (info is non-existent on the 1Ds) is in different spots on the 1D Mark III). The 1Ds is considerably slower at writing the RAW TIFF (not CR2) image to the CF card (using a 4GB Sandisk UItra). AF seems good though.

All in all, thus far I am impressed with the 1Ds. For a camera that was released in late 2002, it was well ahead of its time. I look forward to seeing what I can get out of this beast. If anyone has suggestions about the main LCD screen (if anything can be done at all), and maybe suggestions for another aftermarket battery (although the two I received with this seem pretty decent), it would be much appreciated!

My first test shot with this camera. WB for indoor lighting is pretty atrocious, but still usable. Will update with outdoor shots shortly. Shot taken with the included 50mm STM that came with this camera trade.

EDIT: A couple outdoor shots now. These were done with the 50mm f/1.2 L lens. Again, just quick test shots, with a quick shot of PP done (mainly compositional). WB is faaaaar better with the outdoor settings. I really need to play with the manual K setting for WB on the indoor shots to dial it in.

Flowers growing in abundance with the early June sunshine.

A solar light, waiting impatiently to light up for the nighttime hours.

txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow