Are polarizer worth buying? For landscape photography.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Eliot Kramer Contributing Member • Posts: 994
Re: Are polarizer worth buying? For landscape photography.

Reading the threads and trying to learn, would love to have more information, confused similar to OP.

1. In an environment with minimal/no glare/reflecting surfaces does polarizer do anything?

2. People mention that it cuts down 2 stops of light, wouldn't you be able to do so by halving the ISO, halving the exposure time, etc. I am assuming the aperture is selected based on creative needs and can't be changed? Not sure why exposure can't be reduced by other means and I guess that is my personal experience, never been in a situation where there was too much light, only not enough and I live in the southernmost USA with very bright sun.

3.  So are they mostly for landscapes? The one time I tried doing an outdoor photoshoot with a model I got ok skies, not great, ok, but the model was horribly underexposed and unrecoverable in post. This was ambient light only, did not have off camera flash available to light the model separately and on camera was not powerful enough. Had to remove the filter and work without it. (Of course with blown out skies results).

I guess I am trying to figure out if saturated skies are possible without having a dedicated flash lighting the model? Or Photoshopping after?

Eliot Kramer's gear list:Eliot Kramer's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow