Which EF 24-70mm lens for EOS 5D IV shooting video using Ronin-S gimbal?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AngularIan Junior Member • Posts: 26
Which EF 24-70mm lens for EOS 5D IV shooting video using Ronin-S gimbal?

I have just purchased an EOS 5D Mark IV to go with my (now "backup") Mark III, which I use mostly for shooting video.  The reason for the upgrade is I want to shoot 4K video.
Having played with the DJI Osmo for the last year (love its motion video, if not the lens quality) it's hard to go back to video without a gimbal setup. I've got the Ronin-S on pre-order, but am now looking at purchasing a new lens to go with it.
My biggest concern about the Ronin-S/Canon 5D mark IV setup is the weight. Which leads me onto my concerns about which EF 24-70mm lens to purchase. Common sense says I want the "better" f2.8 lens, especially for 4K video where sharpness is key.
However, I am concerned about reviews of the weight of this lens compared to the f4 version.  Especially given that the Ronin-S is hardly lightweight in the first place.
Have any of the video shooters here got any feedback on either lens? Is the f4 good enough? Or do I need to take on board the greater weight and just go with the f2.8?

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow