Is Sony's APS-C just a bait for FF

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
FalkirkEagle Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Is Sony's APS-C just a bait for FF

hawk15 wrote:

Offering the whole family is good business and builds brand presence but Sony E mount is a gateway not just for FF but also for the overpriced APS-C lenses. Some of these 3rd party lenses under $100 are competitive optically but to get AF and/or OSS, the Sony version is several hundred $ more. And from side-by-side comparisons, it seems like none of the Zeiss options warrant their premium pricing.

It does seem like Sony is restricting the physical size of their E mount offerings, ie not offering something like the X mount 16-55 f/2.8. Maybe it's to pull to FE, maybe they don't think it'll sell well. It's probably noteworthy that although Fuji offers it, they don't have a FF body anyway.

TL;DR: it's a gateway to the lenses also

The problem with a strategy like this is that not everyone can afford to buy into Sony's full-frame cameras and lens ecosystem. Ultimately it's a self-defeating way to do business because it drives away people and makes them feel like they're nothing more than cash cows.

Like a lot of a6XXX-series owners, I am annoyed with the lack of affordable, native E-mount lenses. The kit 16-50mm lens is OK, but sometimes it delivers mediocre results in challenging or less-than-ideal lighting conditions. The 55-210mm zoom lens I bought with it is OK, but it's soft at the maximum end of its focal range. The 16mm wide-angle looks great because it's a pancake lens, as is the 20mm, but both lenses aren't very good in terms of the image quality they deliver.

I'd be going back to Canon if the build quality and dynamic range of their EOS M5 and M50 cameras was better. My only other option is to look at one of their DSLR's, but I refuse to go back to any camera that has an optical viewfinder, regardless of who makes it. I recently had a Panasonic G7 and was disappointed with that camera's limited dynamic range, so another M43 camera is not likely to find its way into my home anytime soon.

It still amazes me that in this day and age, major manufacturers like Canon and Nikon are still desperately clinging to their DSLR lines, which, in my estimation, are basically 10 years out of date from a technological standpoint. Sony managed to bring out competent mirrorless cameras starting in 2010 with the a3000, yet here it is, it's now 2018, eight years later and Canon's only mirrorless offerings are cameras designed to appeal to uncritical consumers, families and travellers.

NIkon's few CX-sensor mirrorless cameras went basically nowhere after their release and look to be destined for the delete bin. Nikon now hope that a full-frame mirrorless offering in 2019 will turn around their fading fortunes, but only a few who have lots of money will be able to afford it. Not a recipe for success, as far as I'm concerned.

If Sony had properly developed the a6XXX range and offered a proper lens ecosystem to go with it, then Canon and Nikon would be in even bigger trouble than they are now.
I currently own a Sony a6000 and like the EVF. It lets me see all four corners of the frame even though I wear glasses. Plus it shows me 100% of the view, not 97% or 95% and allows me to see, more or less, what the final picture will look like. The body of the camera is compact, it feels solid, fits into my hands well and feels like an old-fashioned rangefinder type camera with the speed and capability of a SLR.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow