Camera Observations from Photoshop World

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 1,662
Camera Observations from Photoshop World

I recently attended the Photoshop World convention in Orlando.  First, let me say that much of the conference is devoted to photography, and so it's not all about digital manipulation via Adobe apps.  Most people bring their cameras to at least some of the conference, for special photo shoot events or just to document the action.  Most attendees and either pro or serious hobbyist photographers.

Here are my very anecdotal observations:

1) Canon and Nikon dslr's still rule the roost by a wide margin.  Canon was the most popular brand seen, followed by Nikon, and then well behind was Sony, although there was a good amount of Sony.  I saw a Fuji GFX as well, being used in addition to Canon by a photographer.  I was surprised to see a fair amount of Canon EOS M cameras in use as a carry around camera.  In fact I would say the EOS M was the most popular brand of mirrorless I saw.  Canon seems to be doing a good job getting its serious dslr users to add an EOS M as a lightweight take everywhere camera.  Canon EOL Rick Sammon has been promoting the EOS M5.

2) Canon was the only manufacturer with a presence at the conference.  They had entire room devoted to CPS members, where one could get a free sensor clean.  They also had a small display where one could look at most of their lens lineup along with their camera bodies.  I saw this as a missed opportunity for all of the other brands.

3) There is interest in smaller/lighter systems.  As noted a lot of people were carrying their EOS M's and quite happy.  The Sony people loved to show off their smaller bodies.  There were a few pro's who have checked out or are going to check out the Sony A9 due to the fast silent shooting along with no EVF blackout.  In fact I would say Sony should have had a booth just showing off the A9 and they would have had a good amount of interest and maybe made a few sales.

Overall this only validated the way the sales figures line up: Canon and Nikon entrenched as 1 and 2, with Sony trying hard but still a gap to close.  Canon also remains the one camera vendor willing to show up and offer service.  I would also say that the time is definitely right for Canon and Nikon to offer FF mirrorless: the interest is there.

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow