Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4...?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
CaptainNoddy Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4...?

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I'm looking to get a wide angle, and wanted to get some input/advice.

These are the two lensees I'm considering (Fuji 10-24 and Rokinon 12mm f/2 manual focus).

The manual focus doesn't bother me as much because I have my XT2 set for focus assist in MF mode (enlarges the center of the frame) plus I have focus peaking on.

The 10-24 is nice because it has AF, OIS and is a zoom, giving a little more flexibility (versus the Rokinon wich is basically a prime lens).

I would mainly be using this lens for interiors, so the f/2 on the Rokinon is a definite plus, but it might be more difficult to pull of quick shots since it's a manual focus lens.

Tough decision I guess. What are most people going with?

The Rokinon is obviously about 1/3 of the price of the Fuji,, and probably weighs less, but then there's the MF and no OIS.

I can technically afford the Fuji, but wanted to see what other people thought about the Rokinon over the Fuji in terms of optical performance, despite Rokinon being a MF lens and lacking a few other features...

I have owned Rokinon 12mm when I was using my Sony APSC gear.  Now I own the 10-24 in Fuji system.

It depends on your shooting style and here are my observation to these two lenses:

Rokinon 12mm:  CHEAP with GOOD optical quality, MF only, Excellent for astrophotography (F2), Smaller in size

Fuji 10-24: 10mm Wide is incredible, Has AF & OIS, Excellent for most architectural & landscape shots.

If you are budget tight, go for R12.  If you want to do GOOD astro shots, R12 is also the right choice due to the F2.0 aperture.  Otherwise Fuji 10-24 may serve better for general purpose.

CaptainNoddy's gear list:CaptainNoddy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
v30
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow