Sigma 150-600S on Nikon D850 evaluation in the field

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Old Greenlander Senior Member • Posts: 3,233
Sigma 150-600S on Nikon D850 evaluation in the field

There has been some interest concerning Sigma 150-600S compatibility with Nikon D850

This spring, I did an extensive/intensive evaluation of this combo in the field, in various light/weather conditions and with different targets (BIF)

All pictures handheld, SOOC or very little processing, OS Off. Do not get excited by your software that can raise the shadows and blacks because I didn't do that. I try to present the bird the way it is in its own environment....

The benchmark was my 300F2.8 and 500F4

Conclusion for purists: light transmission is lower, colors not so vibrant, sharpness lower.

Real life results: overall numbers of keepers much higher because of the zoom versatility. It covers both focal lengths and therefore a lot of weight saving when in rough/difficult terrain

Slightly lighter and therefore more holdable.

Focus acquisition very good compared to my benchmark but not surpassing them indeed.

Built like a tank

Crashing the benchmark in terms value/money

Each photographer has a favorite bird, therefore I tried to present a wider range of birds

I hope you will enjoy the pictures

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
35 years of photography and still learning
https://www.juzaphoto.com/me.php?l=en&p=88256

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow