70-200 VR2 with 2.0TC III combo - how is sharpness

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Absolutic
OP Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,423
Re: 70-200 VR2 with 2.0TC III combo - how is sharpness

Wahrsager wrote:

Absolutic wrote:

Have a question about lenses and tc. I am thinking about getting 70-200 VR2 lens (now that used prices on that lens sometimes dip below $1000) and add a 2.0 TC III. I am aware of 70-200 VR2 focus shift issue, and it does not bother me in how I plan to use it. My question is how usable is this particular lens with 2.0 TC III in terms of sharpness? I've seen a very useful test on photozone.de of 70-200 VR1 with 2.0 TC, and it was very helpful, however, I have not seen the same test done with VR2 lens. If anyone uses this exact combo, I'd like to hear what you think! Will be using it on D800e and D7000.

Years ago I had this combination with both of the bodies you have tagged in your post. Personally I thought it was garbage. Things like feathers took on a subtle, painterly quality upon pixel peepage from what I recall.

Thank u   That’s not going to work for me then

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow