Printing a 30x20 metal print, please help.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jmw4 Forum Member • Posts: 63
Printing a 30x20 metal print, please help.

Let’s say I want to make a 30x20 print from a 24megapixel camera (6000x4000)

What are the best export settings from Lightroom?

From what I understand I should resize the file according to the width and height I’m trying to achieve. So I put in 30x20 in the width and height fields. Then I need to enter a number in the field containing ppi. This is where I have a few questions.

• When I choose 300 ppi my file deminsions come out to 9000x6000. It has been uprezzed to meet the numbers I entered.
  • When I choose 200ppi my file deminsions come out to 6000x4000. The file has not been uprezzed.
  • When I choose 150 ppi my file deminsions come out to 4500x3000. The file has been downrezzed.

The print lab I’m using says that there is no noticeable difference in image quality from prints made from 150ppi or 300ppi.
(Art beat studios)

Everywhere else I read says you need 300ppi for the very best quality prints, but I’ve also read it’s hard to tell the difference between having a file at 200ppi compared to 300ppi.

My main question is, wouldn’t the 6000x4000 file @ 200ppi have the best quality when printed at 30x20 since it has not been uprezzed or downrezzed, or am I wrong?

Thank you for all your help.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow