Sony A7 III - focussing on a charging canine

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 1,886
Re: Sony A7 III - focussing on a charging canine

I highly recommend trying to learn back button AF for this exact type of situation.  Coming from Canon 1dx it truly took sometime and learning the concept to fully appreciate the how and why.  With moving subjects it is best to start AF before the action starts.  Shooting bull riding starting the AF before the gate is opened is easy.  Depress the back button and wait.  When the action comes out of the gate AF is already activated and the focus on the subject is already acquired and actively tracking.  Depress the shutter when you see something happening.  There are times during an action sequence that you want to stop shooting and learning the motor memory to lift off the shutter button but keeping the AF tracking going by only lifting to 1/2 press is almost impossible eschpeially if the action is heated.  Keeping the back button mashed is part of the grip and the shutter is just that, the shutter. It did take sometime to relearn what I had done forever but it is a great technique and the entire sequence is so much easier than lifting off the shutter to half press and then when the action picks back up start shooting again.  I have lifted numerous times in 10 second intervals and tracking was always there when the shutter was depressed.

-- hide signature --

My street photography with over 1000 images https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/
www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow