Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329
Re: Compression is Real

Pixel Pooper wrote:

kiwi2 wrote:

Pixel Pooper wrote:

JackM wrote:

Sure, semantically, one lens "has" no more compression than any another. But a longer focal length will force you to position yourself further away from your subject, and you will get more compression.

My lenses don't force me to do anything. A longer focal length gives me a narrower field of view, that's all.

Choosing a focal length and deciding where to stand are two separate decisions, and only one of them affects compression.

If I take off my glasses when I put on a hat, can I blame the hat for my vision going blurry?

If You want to maintain the same subject size in the frame, then different focal lengths will require a change in distance.

Yes, and it is that change in distance that affects the "compression". You can't change compression without changing distance, but you can change it without changing focal length.

Not if you want to maintain the subject over the same area of the frame though.

It will require changing distance and focal length, as the OP's photos demonstrate.

kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow