Boxy, but very very good.

Started 3 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Richard Murdey
Richard Murdey Senior Member • Posts: 2,763
Boxy, but very very good.

For a long while I badmouthed the K-1 for being overweight and clunky. Then I bought one.

Oops. It's actually quite awesome.

I would actually go so far as to say criminally underrated.

Of course though it all depends what you want your camera - and more importantly your camera system - to do. I'm looking at this from a lens-centric perspective, mostly vintage m42 and K-mount primes, as well as the FA31 Limited. As a platform for getting the most out of this glass, Ricoh has delivered a superbly well-appointed machine.

It feels great in hand, is built like a tank, and has just about every feature and customization you could ask for. Images from the 36MP FF sensor are absolutely top notch. It's also the first Pentax camera I've owned (K10D, K-5 and K-3 before this) that feels responsive on a par with my Nikon cameras. It may not have the brute fps, but it is very quick to snap off a shot, pop up menus, or run through image review. AF likewise may not be the fastest out there, but it feels snappy and reliable and modern in a way that previous Pentax iterations never quite managed.

Then there are the perks. The ultra-soft, quiet shutter release. The GPS button on the prism housing. Shake reduction on vintage lenses. Pixelshift. The crazy rear LCD. The quick mode dual on the top plate. The LEDs. Astrotracer and night vision mode. This is the camera that keeps on giving.

None of that would be worth much if any of the primary camera functions were substandard, or if the camera was in any way unpleasant to use, but Ricoh has nailed the execution here such that any complaints are at the level of nitpicking. I must emphasize again what they have pulled off here: the K-1 is a bulky, heavy camera that does not feel large or bulky or even especially heavy in use. It is an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink companion camera, reliable and easy to use, with a deep, well-thought-out features set and extensive user customization.

Richard Murdey's gear list:Richard Murdey's gear list
Nikon D750 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +7 more
Pentax K-1
36 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Feb 17, 2016
Richard Murdey's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow