the 100-400 lens "is it worth the outlay"

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,362
the 100-400 lens "is it worth the outlay"

I have the 55-200 and I am very pleased with it. I mainly use it for people photography at a distance. I also shoot a lot of birds on the myriad of feeders that my wife has scattered around our front and rear garden. So, why am I asking about the 100-400? I use a wireless remote and to get in as close as I want I have to stand or sit back and then can`t see for sure if the focus is correct or the camera has started to record. With a longer lens( apart from the obvious uses of wildlife photography in general) would allow me to be near the camera and at a safe distance not to disturb the birds. I do shoot a lot of high frame  rate video stuff because it allows you to see the birds in more detail and enjoy the action as they fly in and out. I also like the tripod mount on the lens.

It`s quite an outlay for me. So, IQ should be excellent? IS sounds better than the 55-200 from the specs. Lens to be used on the XT2. I notice in my local large photo store that there are a number of mint or open boxed ones for sale which kinda worries me. Are there things about the lens that are a compromise? I also use a battery grip BTW.

Any views please

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow