Compression is Real

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Re: NO IT DOES NOT

Brian_Flex wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

As you can easily see in the illustration you provided, the view point was changed between the two shots. The black dot is much closer to the foreground cowboy in the left example. This, and not the focal length, changes the perspective.

So, NO IT DOES NOT!

And the explanation in first paragraph of the illustration is wrong. A wideangle lens and a tele cannot have the same field of view.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...
I hardly ever speak for anybody but myself. In the cases where I do mean to speak generally the statements are likely to be marked as such.

Firstly, the documentation is correct. Secondly, I responded to the poster who wrote:

"Changing the focal length of a lens doesn't affect the perspective of the picture. But, subject distance does."

Which is perfectly correct.

The point of having different focal lengths is to change perspective, otherwise we'd shoot an entire movie on a 25mm lens, and I'd be out of a job.

No, one point of having different focal lengths is to be able to maintain framing as you change perspective by changing view point.

When you move closer to something, the relative size of the background to the foreground shrinks; when you move away, it grows. It is completely independent of what lens you have on your camera, and even if you have a camera and a lens at all.

Your choice of lens, when you stay at the same distance, solely determines the size of the foreground subject, and not the relative size of the foreground to the background.

In response to your statement, "a wide-angle lens and a tele cannot have the same field of view". You are correct, they don't have the same FOV, but it clearly illustrates keeping the subject the same size.

Which becomes necessary because you changed position with regard to the subject.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...
I hardly ever speak for anybody but myself. In the cases where I do mean to speak generally the statements are likely to be marked as such.

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow