Compression is Real

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 40,723
Re: It's worse

Mike CH wrote:

It's worse. He tried to show, at least until he deigns to explain otherwise, that it's a function of focal length and not of position.

I didn't interpret it that way because he didn't say anything to clarify. I can't read his mind. Going purely by looking at the photos my interpretation was he meant to show as you change focal length and adjust distance to maintain the same FOV  framing on the primary subject, objects in the background will appear closer at longer focal lengths. What he didn't show was if you keep the same distance while zooming in on the subject this "compression" doesn't occur. Some people call what he did compression while others attack that notion because when you zoom in on the subject while maintaining distance there is no no change in perspective. It's one of those senseless debates built around semantics so common on DPR.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow