Looking to get into portrait photography

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirkrisbo New Member • Posts: 9
Looking to get into portrait photography

Hi all,

I'm interested in portrait photography. I've probably watched 100 hours of YouTube videos and I'm about to buy a few books.

Right now I'm taking photos of family both in front of a wall and outdoors but I would like to learn to take headshots and glamour shots.

Until now, I've been taking photos using window light with my Olympus OMD E-M10. After a lot of research I've decided to buy 4 budget speedlights (YN-660) with a remote trigger, a couple of eBay softboxes, ab couple of reflectors and a couple of umbrellas to get me started learning lighting. I reckon this will get me started.

What I'm stuck on its the choice it camera.

I really like my Olympus. Am I better if sticking with it for now or is it worthwhile picking up a used full-frame? I can get either a 5D classic or 1DS mkii for about the same money.

If you think I should upgrade my camera, which of these two would you buy?

I also entertained the idea of a cheap APS-C Canon with the view of upgrading in the future and keeping all the same lenses but for some reason I like the idea of learning to use an old full frame.

Would any of you pick a modern APS-C camera over the two full frames mentioned above?

Appreciate any ideas.

Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow