Handling Panasonic GX9 - not too sure

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ozonation Contributing Member • Posts: 821
Handling Panasonic GX9 - not too sure

After reading up on it extensively and weighing the pros and cons of upgrading, I traded in my GX7 for a GX9. The GX7 was a great little camera but I wasn't using it much - it was a backup to my Olympus EM5Mk2, and I got the GX7 used as part of a package deal several years ago. However, I did find it felt great in hand.

To be honest, I'm having a surprisingly slow and hard time warming to the GX9's handling. It seems close enough to the GX7 that I figured I'd find it very comparable.

But my initial impressions are:

• The redesigned thumb notch/rest on the back seems to interfere with my ability to access and use the rear control dial quickly.
  • When I move my thumb to turn the rear control dial, I sometimes end up turning the exposure compensation dial instead because it's quite prominent.
  • The body seems less grippy in hand: I think the GX7's body hump was more prominent and less slippery.
  • I can't quite get the EVF just right. It seems like when the bottom part is in focus, the top part isn't quite.

I still have my older Olympus EM5Mk2, and I almost prefer it over the GX9... which surprised me.

Anybody else finding the GX9 harder to adapt to than expected? None of the online reviews mentioned any of the above, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow