A7R III Overheat Issue

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Griffin Moores New Member • Posts: 5
A7R III Overheat Issue

Hi All,

Just made the leap and jump from my Canon 5D MK III to the A7R III this past week as I felt the Sony's video, especially the stabilizer and 4K, fit really well with the way I shoot.

However, putting the A7R III through it's paces today I ran into a problem. I was shooting a graduation, it was 85°F, and during an hour of pretty active shooting (~600 photos + b-roll) the camera/lens became quite warm and started intermittently displaying the overheat warning. Eventually, I got frozen out and couldn't record video until swapping the battery. Although this didn't wreck me in this situation, I also shoot weddings and would be seriously SOL if the same issue came up mid-ceremony.

Here's my question, WTH? But actually, is this common? Are there *practical* ways to mitigate this? I've heard about opening battery doors, SD doors, popping the monitor screen out, but for $3,200 this seems a bit... a bit unreasonable.

I'm hoping I just messed up a menu setting somewhere. I'm still waiting on my faster cards to arrive, so I was shooting compressed RAW - swapping between full frame & APSC - on a the SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC 95mb/s. However, I was only shooting 50MBPS video at 1080p & 30p.

My thoughts on a solution:

1: Pony up for the battery grip in the hope of moving that heat source out of the body (does the grip's battery connection/dongle(?) not get hot?)

2: Use an external Atomos recorder when wanting to do 4k... outside. Seems like a pricey/bulky way to go.

3: Flip open every flap and hope the battery doesn't fall out and completely wreak havoc on a video file mid-shoot.

4: Bow my head in resignation, return ~$5k worth of gear, and go back to a less exciting, more reliable Canon or Nikon body.

FYI, my wife was shooting a graduation on the other side of town with the 5D MK III and the camera never broke a sweat. She also used it for a summer in Central California as a newspaper photojournalist and never had temperature problems.

Other than that, really loved the experience. But overheating is definitely a sticking point.

Thanks for any help in getting this resolved and assuaging our growing buyer's remorse!

- Griffin

Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow