Interior portraits in dark interiors with top lighting .. ? Restaurants etc.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Fujijitsu
Fujijitsu Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: Interior portraits in dark interiors with top lighting .. ? Restaurants etc.

Strong halogen lights directly overhead seem to be compulsory in hotels, restaurants and cruise ships - and I agree that they create issues with dark shadows under eyes when trying to take natural or candid portraits in public places.  Color temp issues too.

I've tried a small foldable reflector - but can be challenging to use if all the light is all from overhead - so end up using make-shift modifiers for fill-in on camera flash.

I've found that holding a hankerchief in front of the flash helps - and a yellow one helps balance the color.  Sounds odd - but if you're out for a dinner with friends, and want decent photos of the evening, it's not practical to use off camera fladh, large modifiers or reflectors, but you can whip out a hanky and not look too weird.

By sort of dangling it over the flash head, you can make a bigger light source and soften the light a little too.

I think there could be a market for a 'photographers hanky' - with different colors like a gel set? 😂

Fujijitsu's gear list:Fujijitsu's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Fujifilm X-E2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow