D5600 vs 7200 vs P900

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ewan Grantham
Ewan Grantham Regular Member • Posts: 143
D5600 vs 7200 vs P900

Currently have the P900, and feel like every time I shoot I am struggling to get a good, crisp focus and picture. After a couple months I'm less inclined to think this is user error, but can't totally rule it out.

As a replacement I am considering the D5600 or the D7200. If I get the D5600 body with the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR lens it would be right around $1K, and would appear to give me most of what I have with the P900 (obviously somewhat less zoom) while giving be better picture IQ. Also the capability to just upgrade or add on a lens at some point if I find I really need more telephoto.

On the D7200 there is a Dual Lens kit that includes the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED (and a more usual 18-55mm VR ED lens) which is also right around $1K.

This is ONLY for stills - I don't do video.

I like that the 7200 has two SD card slots, some additional accessories I could see myself growing into over time, and if I read correctly it doesn't have a touchscreen but does have a dial for almost everything. It also is weatherproofed which I could see being helpful on hiking trips.

On the other hand, the 70-300 lens with the 7200 is the non-VR version which I gather means that there is no image stabilization which at the long end seems like a bad deal. But perhaps the in-lens stabilization of the VR version is so minimal I'd still need a tripod almost everywhere with the 5600?

Or maybe there's something else in the $1k range I've totally missed?

Ewan Grantham's gear list:Ewan Grantham's gear list
Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D5600 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow