Love or GAS or something else

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eliot Kramer Regular Member • Posts: 358
Love or GAS or something else

Hello.

So this is a little bit of a psychological question, so only looking for people that are in the same "frame of mind". Not looking for sarcastic criticism such as "go take better pictures", "it's not the equipment it's the photographer that matters" etc etc, which these forums have pretty much become.

Some lenses are unique for whatever reason and one ends up liking them a lot. Many are discontinued and are out of production. As we know, nothing lasts forever and companies even stop servicing them.

So, if I have a discontinued lens that I really like does it make sense to get a second copy, shelve it for now, and then use it when the first one dies? Maybe even 10 years from now? Is this sort of the "collector's" version of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (mild hoarding behavior). Or just "smart business" so to speak since finding a lens like that 10 years from now might be next to impossible due to lenses "going extinct" and fewer and fewer copies becoming available and staying in working order?

Or will newer and much better lenses  always appear as time goes by and it makes sense to keep up with the newest lenses due to developments in camera technology, etc etc.

One reason for this whole thing is that I keep hearing here on the forums the sentiment  of " I still have my X mm lens from 35 years ago and I still use it and it is superb" and it makes sense since they often stop making wonderful unusual lenses.

Looking for advice from someone with years of shooting experience, I guess, not someone like myself that has been shooting barely for 3 years and is a newbie.

Thank you for bearing with this long dissertation.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow