Amazing for the price. Amazing period.

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,607
Amazing for the price. Amazing period.

Warning: I have only had it for a couple of days and done some testing. I will update the review when I have more experience with the lens. Loving it so far.

Comparing it to the older Nikon 70-300VR,the new lens lighter, focuses closer, faster and more accurately, does not hunt as much, can focus well in dim lighting and does not require stopping down. I like the bokeh on the old lens but this is even better and being able to focus closer. Negatives are CA is possibly a little more pronounced, and it has a plastic mount. Less important but annoying it does not come with lens hood or soft case, I also use to shoot the old lens at f/8 on the long end whereas I'm confident enough to shoot wide open with this one. I'm finding my hit rate with this lens is higher.

I am coming from the older Nikon 70-300 VR on the Nikon side, and have experience with the Tamron 70-300VC and 55-250STM on the Canon side, I think I've found my new favourite lens.

In terms of operation it reminds me a lot of the Canon 55-250STM. Simple, no fuss, minimal controls. Tack sharp even wide open. The bokeh on the 55-250STM is a bit nervous though, whereas the newer AF-P 70-300 DX VR has a lovely quality to the background. The 55-250 STM also isn't a true 250mm when shooting close up.

I don't like the copy of the Tamron 70-300VC for contrast or sharpness and it controls CA much less than any of the other lenses I've mentioned. I have heard there's quite a bit of sample variation with the Tammy, but as far as I'm concerned it isn't even in the race.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Lens • Nikon F (DX)
Announced: Aug 17, 2016
Sammy Yousef's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow