X-T100 first hands on experience

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gavin Stapleton
Gavin Stapleton Senior Member • Posts: 1,027
X-T100 first hands on experience

Hi all,

Today I went to Camera Pro Brisbane to get an early hands on experience with the X-T100 in dark silver. I wasn't allowed to put my memory card in, so I can't say anything about it's image quality.

My initial impression picking up the camera for the first time is how heavy it was compared to the X-T20. After a few minutes I stopped noticing this, so it's certainly not a problem. The dark silver finish was very close to graphite on other models.

The build quality felt really good, at least on par with the X-T20. However, the flash release mechanism is even better than the X-T20! The flash flips up without needing me to dampen it with a well placed finger for mechanical sympathy.

I tried holding the X-T100 with and without the accessory grip, and there's not much in it. If you like a clean or traditional look to your camera, the rear thumb rest certainly helps give a good purchase. My preference was for the grip attached, however. The X-T20 feels more comfortable to hold due to its taller shoulders, and smoother finish to the thumb rest and grip (it just feels softer). I think the X-T100 needs a tripod mounted accessory grip to get more finger real estate.

The left control wheel has a moderate tension to it, and adjusts nicely. The top right control wheel is quite firm in comparison, so it isn't easily bumped out of position while handling the camera. If I was splitting hairs, the rear control wheel doesn't feel quite as well executed as it is on the X-T20. The directional buttons are almost flush with the body and weren't easy to find by feel without looking. This is my single biggest gripe with the X-T100.

You can put an XF lens into A mode and adjust the aperture with the rear control wheel. Infact it was quite easy and quick to set up the exposure triangle across all three control wheels, and this was my preference. You can really configure the dials for P&S or full manual operation.

The shutter button has a soft operation for the first part of its travel to acquire focus and a definite click to release the shutter. Not much more to say about it really. You don't need well practiced muscle memory to find its staging.

The new tilt screen doesn't feel flimsy, and I hope it's introduced to subsequent model revisions. Whether it's better or worse than the X-T2 implementation is entirely personal preference. But if you want a forward facing LCD, it's the best and only option in the Fujifilm range.

Stacked and post focus might interest some, but you have to work with 8MP JPEG files. You access this feature in any mode via pressing down on the directional pad with the other drive options. This feature isn't available on the X-T20 at this time.

Focus acquisition with the 35/1.4 and 27/2.8 lenses was reasonable to my estimate for indoor lighting conditions. It was better than my X-A1 with the 27/2.8 mounted, that's for sure. Face detect seemed snappy and responsive, also.

The EVF was fine and not much worse than the X-T2, really, just smaller. I would have no problems with it, and if you're used to the X-T20, you're not in for any surprises.

This was my first time using the 15-45 lens, and it has a short learning curve to get used to the electronic zoom ring(s). It mounts more securely than my 16-50 does, without any wobble once clicked into place. I wish the zoom guide on the LCD was in focal length and not just an undefined scale...

In conclusion, whether you pick this up or the X-T20 is a tough choice. If you like gimmicky features, alternative finishes, front facing LCD, Bluetooth and a Bayer sensor at a lower price, then the X-T100 is for you. If you're a Xtrans stalwart, then go for the X-T20. Either way you can't go wrong. Just be sure you can live with the flush directional pad buttons before committing to the X-T100.

PS: After handling the whole Fujifilm range, the X-T2 is perhaps my favourite ergonomics and camera size. It doesn't need a grip extension to make it feel right to me, it just works as is. Having said that, i also liked the large grip on the X-H1.

Cheers, Gav.

Gavin Stapleton's gear list:Gavin Stapleton's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +14 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow