Best Lens for Rocky Mountaineer

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SuperdaveMTL New Member • Posts: 7
Best Lens for Rocky Mountaineer

I bought a D3400 which came with 18-55 and 55-200 VR kit lenses.

I am planning to do the Rocky Mountaineer package for my honeymoon.  This is a week long vacation package in Canada's west which inlcudes two days onboard the train taking the scenic routes.

I'm expecting to want to photograph a lot of things out the windows of the carriages.

There have been many "what lens is best" threads all over the internet and the answer is usually "it depends on what you will photograph."

I'll be taking photos of the landscape and maybe if lucky wildlife from the window of a moving train.  This seems very specific if you ask me.

I want one lens on my camera for the train portion of the trip as photo ops will appear and disappear fast and I don't want to be fumbing with lens changes.  So what would the best choice GIVEN MY CURRENT ARSENAL AND PLANNED 35 PURCHASE?

I do plan on eventually getting a 35mm 1.8 lens which will likely function as my everyday lens and keep the 18-55 for wider landscapes and what not (or maybe ditch the 18-55 and get something like a 10-20 and hang onto my 55-200, but now I'm rambling)

In my head I'm thinking that the 35mm would be perfect because it's fast, light, IQ is said to be really good, and focal point is pretty close to the human eye (the DX lens) and I'll be good in most light conditions.  I also will be buying a filter kit soon so I'll be armed with a polarizing filter to avoid reflections from the windows (yup, I thought of that, not bad for an amateur, eh?)

What do you guys think?  Is the 35mm a good pick, or should I stay armed with my 18-55 to keep some zoom ability if need be? (I doubt I'll have time to zoom and compose the perfect' shot in a moving train so I keep coming back to the 35mm)

Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow