SL2/200D Focusing Issues Relative to SL1/100D

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jx9 New Member • Posts: 6
SL2/200D Focusing Issues Relative to SL1/100D

I just got the SL2 and have been shooting a lot with it over the past few days. I have to say, I'm very disappointed. I am using the 35mm f/2 IS and a LOT of shots are just way out of focus. When I use live view, the problem goes away. I did not have this issue with the SL1. It focuses spot on every time using the optical viewfinder. Note that I bought both refurbished through Canon.

Is anyone else having a problem with this combo? Did they purposely handicap the SL2's ability to focus well with high-end cameras like the 35mm f/2 IS? It's not as significant of an issue on other lenses like the 50mm f/1.8. Odd.

I called Canon about this issue. Tech support said I could send it in with the lens and possibly have it calibrated for a LOT of money. I asked how much and he couldn't say. Over a $100? Definitely. They only offered to refund it.

I was so excited about getting the SL2. I have the SL1 and the 80D. I was planning on selling the 80D due to it's bulkiness, but it looks like I'll be holding on to it a bit longer.

Jx9's gear list:Jx9's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow