Panasonic HC-X920 - How does the US model (59.94FPS) eliminate 50Hz LED flickering at 1/120 shutter?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adielle Regular Member • Posts: 163
Panasonic HC-X920 - How does the US model (59.94FPS) eliminate 50Hz LED flickering at 1/120 shutter?

Does anyone know how this is possible? What kind of magic does Panasonic use to completely, utterly eliminate any flickering in 220-240V 50Hz regions? I have the US model X920 (specifically "X920P" - see here), which only has 59.94 FPS progressive recording (and useless interlaced modes other than that), and when I shoot with either 1/120, 1/100 or 1/60 shutter, there's absolutely no flickering whatsoever, whereas with other cameras, as expected and as natural laws would dictate, 1/120 and 1/60 result in a horrible mess, and 1/100 and 1/50 are fine.

I've verified that there's definitely no hidden shutter adjustment or anything. It's really as it says, and yet there's no flickering. So this must mean that there's some kind of special process being done behind the scenes to avoid the flickering. Does anyone have any idea how it works? I think it's pretty amazing, and I'd love to know what their trick is.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow