Shooting directly into the sun - fine or not?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dericali Forum Member • Posts: 84
Shooting directly into the sun - fine or not?

I'm interested in photographing translucent objects such as water with the sun directly behind them. I'm wondering if there are dangers about shooting directly into the sun. As you can see in the images the sun is not intended to be in focus.

I have read contradictory information, e.g. connected to the recent eclipse, that you can melt a lens, versus no problem.

Here I've shot some photos with a 70-200mm zoom that I'd like to reshoot because the focus isn't quite where it should be.

I'd like to shoot these with around f8-f20 and shutter speed 1/4000-1/8000, and using LV for manual focus. I have a polarising filter for my 70-200 but not a solar filter or ND. I have a smaller zoom that I have an ND filter for.

Wondering if this is safe to proceed or if I should invest in a solar filter or ND. It's worth mentioning that I would like to shoot at very high shutter speed to freeze the water motion (it's a jet fountain, so moving quite fast). Maximum DOF is also preferred.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow