Issue w/Taking Low Light Pics in Museums Locked

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Erunegal New Member • Posts: 9
Issue w/Taking Low Light Pics in Museums

Hello everyone,

Long time I've been back here, have been practicing "in the field" for the past few months, and noticed somethings that I have trouble solving. My equipment is the standard Nikon D3300 with a AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G DX (the $200 one).  My main focus in photographing museum paintings.

Recently while in several museums I noticed I had particularly difficult times taking pictures of certain paintings. To protect those fragile materials the museums would lower the light levels to one to two levels lower than what I'm used to. Usually with my settings of ISO 100 and f2.5 to f2.8 I'm able to get decent results, but in those very low light environments the mages come up dark and blurry. Even when I try and edit them later they still remain sub-optimal compared to what I had with Western paintings.

My question is, what setting should I adjust, the ISO, f-stop, or both, in order to achieve images that are still sharp, clear, while still appearing mostly visible under very low light conditions (i.e. at a level that does not require software editing afterwards)?  Any help will be appreciated.

Nikon D3300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow