Just bought a Nikon D3400 - what settings should I begin with?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
inlawbiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,644
Re: Just bought a Nikon D3400 - what settings should I begin with?

Cheaptoad wrote:

I'm just starting out after many years. Someone suggested to start use (A)uto and someone else suggested (P)rogram.

I would use the scene modes and play close attention to what the camera is doing in a scene.

If you use full Auto mode the camera will take a best guess and what you're trying to do, by matching the scene to its internal database of presets. Often it will guess wrong. If you pick a scene mode, say Sports or Landscape, it gives the camera a pretty good hint at what you want to do.

Then you can glance at the settings and see what the camera is doing, and in the future you can duplicate that sort of thing yourself. For example switching from Sports to Landscape you might notice the aperture go from wide-open f/3.5 to f/11. There's a reason!

Greg.

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow