What a surprise!

Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug MacMillan Senior Member • Posts: 2,395
What a surprise!

I bought my Fuji X-E3 for travel back in October 2017.  My original kit consisted of the Samyang 12mm f 2.0 and the Fuji 18-55 "kit" lens.

Two weeks after purchase I left for a trip to London and Paris and fell in love with shooting with the X-E3. We are planning more trips later this year and while I was in California for business, I stopped by Samy's to look at more lenses.

My original intent was to check out the 10-24, which is an impressive lens. They also had a copy of the 55-200, which I decided to try as well. It got me thinking. I already have a fair amount of the focal lengths covered by the 10-24, but have nothing other than 55mm covered by the 55-200.  That night I did some research and found that the 55-200 is well regarded.

Two days later, after my wife joined me, she convinced me to return and buy the lens. (BTW, she bought herself an Instax printer, which she loves!)  We haven't traveled yet, but I have been testing it.

The big surprise to me is how good it has worked out as a portrait lens.  I have the 56mm f1.2 and the 90mm f2 on my acquisition list.  This certainly is working well as a substitute. I may knock the 90mm off my list and at least delay buying the legendary 56mm, especially since I'm shooting with a vintage Canon FD 58mm f1.2 that has amazing bokeh.  The bokeh of the 55-220 is very pleasing as well, as demonstrated with the third photo.

Autofocus on this lens is very quick and the OIS works extremely well. This is one great lens. It rivals the IQ of my Canon 70-200 f2.8 and has even more reach.  Some have mentioned the lens is softer at the longest focal lengths.  I must have a good copy because it is plenty sharp @200mm.

SOOC, OCF Godox in Westcott Rapid Box

Processed in LR

SOOC, ~130mm wide open. Impromptu street portrait of a young lady in Pittsburgh

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Telephoto zoom lens • Fujifilm X • 16384941
Announced: Apr 17, 2013
Doug MacMillan's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow