Worst situation you've been in due to having/holding a camera?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ericrayl New Member • Posts: 15
Worst situation you've been in due to having/holding a camera?

A couple weeks ago I went to the Bay Area to film a segment for my documentary.  After the 3-day shoot I headed over to San Francisco to check out the city and do some more filming (I wanted to make a short 3-minute video just showing some of the highlights of the city).

After filming the entire morning in the downtown San Francisco area, I was starting to make my way to Coit Tower for some more shots.  However as I started heading that way I was approached by a completely random individual.  This individual would be one of those people that you would try to avoid or ignore if you were to see them on the street (aka a street person of sorts).  This individual crossed the middle of the street, approached me, and started to verbally accuse me of doing all sorts of horrendous acts (none of which were true).  I completely ignored this person and kept on walking--a bit quicker I might add.  They did not let up and, at this point, I could tell that they were either a) mentally disturbed, or b) on drugs (probably meth), or both.

I started to run away a bit, but with my 5d4 in my hand and a heavy camera backpack on my back, I wasn't setting any records.  They easily caught up and continued their assault--now telling me strongly to "PUT THE CAMERA DOWN" over and over again.  I was able to spot another pedestrian and I made my way to him, but this person was so in my face that I couldn't shake them.  I told the pedestrian to call the cops and that I was being assaulted.  The pedestrian kind of ignored me probably thinking that I did something to upset the person with my camera--which, of course, I never did.  At this point, I ended up getting swatted in the face by this crazy person and started bleeding from my nose.  And so I bolted as fast as I possibly could--and thankfully they didn't follow this time.  I dipped into a Starbucks (one that I had been in just 15 minutes earlier), and called the cops...

So, that's a long story, but it got me wondering if anyone else out there has been in a similar situation.  It doesn't have to be as dramatic as mine--indeed, I want to hear all your stories.  What kind of heat have all you attracted due to just having or holding a camera?  I know that my situation was a bit random--it's not everyday that you get assaulted just walking down the street, for no reason, by someone that you've never seen before in your life.  But I do think that my camera kind of set them off a bit.  If I had not had the camera, it wouldn't have been something that they harped on and I probably could have shaked them quicker.  Also, I have been in other (less dramatic) situations where my camera absolutely attracted attention.

So what are all of your horror stories (big and small)??

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow