Should I send my D600 in for cleaning?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
bobkoure
bobkoure Senior Member • Posts: 1,403
Re: Should I send my D600 in for cleaning?

ImageAmateur wrote:

fishy wishy wrote:

^ why do you keep using things that aren't specifically marketed for cleaning a sensor with? Like make-up brushes, pure alcohol and pec pads? The Pec Pads even used to say "not safe on CCDs".

Are your cameras not worth enough to you to spend $2 per clean on bona fide stuff like ROR fluid and a microfibre swab every time?

The blush brushes (main thing is to use ones that are soft and do not have chemical additives, like some artists brushes) can be used right on/ near ladies eyes. Ladies eyes are far more delicate than a piece of glass (covering the sensor).

Nice to know! Do you charge them with static electricity like you would with one of the arctic brushes? Does that work? I have a compressor in the garage, so there's a source of compressed air

Alcohol = all depends on the evaporation time. ROR and Eclipse are basically the same thing, some kind of alcohol base.

I have 91% isopropyl I use from a dropper bottle to dry my ears out (distance swimmer, this works). You have to search for it; the drugstore stuff is 60-ish%. The 91 smells of alcohol,

I have eclipse, but I've never sniffed it (methyl alcohol is toxic) and don't use enough to get much of a whiff (two drops on a pad). I understand methyl alcohol smells like ethyl (booze).

I also have ROR. It evaporates just fine, but doesn't smell of alcohol. I use it for lens elements, live view panels, and eyeglasses. Never tried it on a sensor.

Have been using pec pads for a while, since I first had my D300, which I gave away three years ago. Sensor was fine.

Ditto, but a D7000. Nephew is still happy with it - and I expect it'll be my job when it needs cleaning  :-).

PS - Or maybe I am just nuts!

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

bobkoure's gear list:bobkoure's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NNL
NNL
NNL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow