Dead Pixel question - handling the images

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,570
Dead Pixel question - handling the images

So I looked through the images from my most recent shoot and found a small white cross on all the JPEG images. A sub-pixel has died

Luckily it's a 5Dsr so it's a small pixel. Unluckily it was in an annoying position on a dark subject, once the images were cropped.

So anyway I've updated the dud pixel map (select manual sensor cleaning then turn the camera off after the mirror locks up), which removed it (well, you know what I mean, removed its visible aspect). Actually it took a couple of goes before it zapped it, but it's gone now.

What I'd like to do is to use the new dud pixel map to re-process all my old images, rather than going one-at-a-time. I'm assuming it's in the (manufacturer-specific part of the) EXIF.

Has anyone done anything like this? How? Also any other suggestions? Would re-processing the Raws in-camera use the camera's bad-pixel map or the one (I assume) is in the Raw file?

BTW interestingly you get a diagonal cross in the SooC JPEGs and a vertical/horizontal one using DPP (which I don't usually use) so they presumably de-bayer differently, which is a little odd.

SooC JPEG

DPP 4 from Raw

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +28 more
Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow