Lightroom's Detail Mask in Photoshop / PTC

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sankos Senior Member • Posts: 1,650
Lightroom's Detail Mask in Photoshop / PTC

Jesus Ramirez (Photoshop Training Channel) has recently come up with a nice simulation of the Lr's Masking slider within the Ps workspace.

As you might know, Lightroom allows you to preview the sharpening mask if you use the Alt key when moving the Masking slider in the Detail panel. It looks like the Masking slider creates a type of an edge mask, but Ramirez claims that the closest equivalent of the edge-finding algorithm used by Lr is the Glowing Edges filter from Photoshop's Filter Gallery. I use the Masking slider in Lr for my input sharpening for general photography because it's very convenient, but when being super-critical I always thought the edge mask to be a rather "blunt" tool. Ramirez' finding seems to confirm my impression.

How do you create your sharpening mask in Ps? A simple Threshold slider from within the USM filter? An edge mask (using Find Edges, High Pass or Select edges)? A luminosity mask? Channel Pulling? Blend If? The High Frequency layer from the Frequency Separation technique? Something else?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow