Do I need a zoom lens? (a6500)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PointsMD Junior Member • Posts: 25
Do I need a zoom lens? (a6500)

Hi everyone,

I recently got an a6500 as an upgrade to my NEX-5T. I'm a hobbyist and primarily take pictures of my family and kids. The camera has been a great upgrade primarily due to the IBIS, AF C, eye AF, and EVF, with a slight increase in overall IQ. I have a Sel50f18 OSS for portraits and sometimes for outdoor walk arounds (fantastic lens though it would be nice if subject tracking worked better) and the Sigma 30/2.8 for walk around lens. I have some $ for a new lens and am thinking about the new 18-135, but I have been using fast primes exclusively for the last few years. So my question is whether I can really benefit from the zoom? I've seen it compared to other zooms but can its IQ actually compare with prime lenses (it's hard to justify a big camera over a cellphone these days unless the IQ is way better)? I would like some extra reach in my lens set so I'm thinking about getting the Sony FE 85/1.8 instead (though it's way less versatile and I already have a portrait lens I'm happy with). In addition, while I like the size of the Sigma 30/2.8, it feels like the AF of the a6500 is wasted on it without proper Pdaf. I have the 16-55? Kit lens but haven't used it in years bc I didn't like the IQ and primarily shoot at larger apertures. Is there a definitive decision on whether the AF on the Sigma 30/1.4 is close to native now? I'm also interested in the Sigma 16/1.4 at some point.

In short, I'd like to expand my lens profile. Am not sure whether I'd really benefit from a zoom but like the idea of having more reach. I'm considering the Sony 18-135, Sony FE 85, Sigma 30/1.4, and Sigma 16/1.4.

Any input would be much appreciated!

P.S. I'm typing this from my phone but will try to post some pics later.

NEX-5T Sony a6500 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow