M50 compressed raw format and high ISO image quality

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,109
M50 compressed raw format and high ISO image quality

I read DPReview's discussion of Canon's new lossy compression format and it seemed to me that DPReview was overly optimistic about image quality. Specifically with high ISO images.

I did a quick test last night. I shot several ISO 6400 images in very low light in my living room in both compressed raw and non-compressed raw. When I shoot with high ISO it is under the assumption that I will be reducing luminance noise in ACR (about 20%) and then downsizing the images to about 2400x1600.

I did this. When I examined the images at 100% before downsizing, they looked very similar. I didn't see any of the chroma noise artifacts that DPReview found when lifting shadows. (I didn't lift any shadows.) But after downsizing, the uncompressed images looked noticeably better than the compressed images.

Has anybody else tried this test with non shadow lifted high ISO images? It looks to me that CR3 lossy compressed raw is only useful with low ISO images. But I'd like to hear other opinions.

Wayne

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow