Balancing mirrorless and long & heavy lenses! :-)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 3,079
Balancing mirrorless and long & heavy lenses! :-)

Since mirrorless entered the scene, many claim that you need a large and heavy camera to balance long lenses. After using long lenses with my A7 for years, and before that with small and light SLR cameras, my answer is: No, this is not true.

Do this, and you don't even need an extra camera grip:

• Place the left hand under the lens, and everything will balance well
  • Move the left hand a tad more forward than with a heavy camera
  • Use the right hand to operate the camera, and to add some support
  • Enjoy shoooting handheld for longer perods than with a heavier combo

Try to hold such a combo with the right hand camera grip, and everything will be way out of Balance, no matter what camera you use.

With a small and light camera I can build a very compact system for travelling, and I can still use long and heavy lenses with comfort when needed.

Some also claim that the size benefit is lost when using long and heavy lenses, but fact is that a heavier combo will not be steadier, but your left hand will get tired after a shorter period when working handheld. Also, a heavier combo is less flexible for shooting fast moving subjects, like birds in flight.

The trick: Place the left hand under the lens to support weight and to balance the combo.

Size matters, and no mirror makes the smallest one very fast and capable. From CameraZise.com

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
C47
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow