Sigma 16mm f1.4 DC on Full Frame - Lightroom adjustments

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
geoffreyhdt Regular Member • Posts: 164
Sigma 16mm f1.4 DC on Full Frame - Lightroom adjustments

Hi guys,

I was considering an ultra wide angle lens, which was missing from my gear, but could not justify the size, weight price for something that I would use only from time to when I really need to go wider.

The future Sigma 20mm f1.4 FE will be stellar, but too big/expensive (and can't add filters to protect it!), the future Tamron 20mm f2.0 more compact but even more expensive and a full stop slower, the Sony zoom lenses too expensive and too slow, and the manual options not adapted to event/people photography at wide aperture.

But I stumbled on this threadshowing the capabilities and limitation of the Sigma 16mm f1.4 DC on Full Frame...then enjoyed a 15% discount on eBay + 5% cash back on Paypal + no tax and decided to give it a try. At $357 new, while they sell used for $400 on eBay, I did not take any risk$ here.

Verdict:

- As long as your subject is in the center of the frame the sharpness is great straight from f1.4.

- On Full Frame, after adjustment (a combination of crop + lens correction profile + manual transformation, see below) there is a strong vignetting. But I tend to add vignetting on most of my pictures anyway, which is especially good to add drama or/and get the attention to the center of the picture, so it's actually not that much of an issue for me.

- It may be hard to frame properly on the camera, taking into account the crop in post process, and I wish there was an option on my a9 to adjust on the /viewfinder while taking the picture. you can cut a piece of clear plastic (like a CD case) and mark/engrave it with an inside frame, then add some double tape to stick it temporarily to your screen when you swap for this lens.

- Definitely not good for architecture photography, but then you could consider some other great manual focus lenses out there.

Anyway, here are some of my Lightroom adjustments, with different parameters, and for different crop ratios. Vignetting added to be more progressive. Picture shot at f1.4, ISO 400:

Same adjustment as the first picture, with the addition/change of the highlighted settings.

Here is how it looks like without geometric correction and no crop (full resolution), no vignetting added:

And here is how it looks like 24mm equivalent (crop 1.5x), no vignetting added:

Last but not least, here are the settings for the vignetting added to the 4 first pictures:

Let me know if you have a better technique to get the most UWA out of this lens with acceptable result w.r.t. vignetting.

PS: Yes, my dog is a long one, this is not from the distortion

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow